Saturday 2 May 2009

Scarborough Castle Butterflies

As nice weather abounded today, me and Steve went for a wander to see what butterflies we could photograph.

Within minutes of reacheing our intended destination, I managed to net a large white (Pieris Brassicae) and a green-veined white (Pieris napi).

Large White. Photo courtesy of me.

Close-up of a Large White. Photo courtesy of SJV.



Green-veined White. Photo courtesy of SJV.


It didn't take us too long to see some of the other butterflies common at this time of year, small tortoiseshells abounded, as did small whites and speckled woods.

Small tortoiseshell. Photo courtesy of me.

Small White. Photo courtesy of SJV.

Speckled Wood. Photo courtesy of SJV.

We only saw one peacock, and after quite a chase I managed to get this photo:


We were surprised to see on our way back a holly blue fluttering around some privet. This is the first holly blue I have seen in Scarborough.

Holly Blue. Photo courtesy of me.

Holly Blue inner wings. Photo courtesy of SJV.

Seeing the holly blue was nice, as it means I have seen ten different species of butterflies so far this year. Strangely I didn't see a single comma today.

2 comments:

  1. that peacock one is flipping amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s in real life I have a butterfly phobia, if one comes near I scream, wave hands about and run around like a loony.

    ReplyDelete